Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Entertainment

Auburn Grad Shot, Killed By Boyfriend’s Dad


The parents of a 22-year-old Auburn University graduate who police say was fatally shot at her boyfriend’s family home in Alabama have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against his father and a yet-to-be-identified gunmaker, according to court filings.

Whitney Robeson, originally from Richmond, Virginia, died the night of March 7 after a gunshot tore through her upper chest, the lawsuit states. She was pronounced dead at a hospital about an hour later.

The shooting was initially reported as an accident, and the coroner’s early finding was “accident” based on limited information available at the time. Defense attorney Johnny Amari has repeatedly described the incident as a “tragic” and “terrible accident.”

Police in Trussville, about 15 miles northeast of Birmingham, arrested Robeson’s boyfriend’s father, 54-year-old Jeffrey Towers, on a manslaughter charge last week, roughly two months after the shooting.

Whitney Robeson-Screenshot

“Innocent until proven guilty is not just a sacred rule, it’s a legal standard,” said Amari, one of Towers’ criminal defense attorneys. “Our position is he’s not guilty of the offense that he’s charged with.”

Towers has not yet entered a plea. He was released on $30,000 bond, the highest amount for a Class B felony like manslaughter, Amari said. He is due back in court on July 22.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“Nothing that we do or say as a criminal defense team…diminishes the fact that a life was lost here — and a special life,” Amari told Fox News Digital. “This girl was special to my client, special to my client’s family.”

Robeson and Towers’ 22-year-old son, Brandon Towers, attended Auburn University together and were dating at the time of her death. Weeks before the shooting, she had just started a job in interior design at RH, formerly known as Restoration Hardware.

“We believe even when a mistake is made, you have the right to your criminal defense, you have the rights to force the state to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt, and that’s all we’re exercising,” Amari said. “It doesn’t in any way diminish the loss of life that we know is valuable.”

Amari’s law firm was not representing Towers in the civil case as of Tuesday morning.

Although the prosecution’s version of events has not yet been made public, the civil lawsuit alleges new details about Robeson’s final moments.

According to the filing, Towers was in the attic of his home on Deer Trail with his son and Robeson, showing them “a collection of antique firearms.” While handling a .22-caliber revolver, he “inadvertently” discharged a round, the lawsuit says, causing fatal injuries to Robeson’s heart and left lung.

“Whether known or unknown to Defendant Towers, the firearm being handled was loaded, and as he displayed the weapon to Whitney and his son, a single shot was inadvertently discharged,” the lawsuit states. “The discharged bullet struck 22-year-old Whitney Robeson in the upper left side of her chest.”

The lawsuit alleges Towers handled the weapon negligently and that the gunmaker produced the revolver with design flaws that made it “unfit for its ordinary purpose.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“Defendant Towers, with reckless indifference to the consequences and a conscious disregard for the safety of others, engaged in the unsafe handling of a firearm without verifying whether the weapon was loaded,” the lawsuit alleges.

It later claims he handled the gun with “a complete lack of knowledge of firearm safety, firearm mechanics, or how to safely handle firearms.”

The filing does not name the gunmaker. It includes 14 unnamed co-defendants who can be identified later under Alabama law.

Robeson’s parents, Carin and Matthew Robeson, are relying on the state’s Extended Manufacturer’s Liability Doctrine to allege the firearm was defectively designed, “unfit for its ordinary purpose,” and lacked adequate safety features “as to prevent inadvertent discharge.”

“At its core, this matter involves the tragic and unnecessary death of a 22-year-old young woman whose life was cut short far too soon,” their attorney, Andrew Moak, said in a statement. “Whitney was a daughter, loved one, and member of her community, and that should never be lost in the discussion surrounding this case.”

He said the family is seeking justice and accountability. The lawsuit does not specify monetary damages being sought.

In an online obituary, Robeson’s family revealed she had wanted to work in interior design since her childhood, inspired by shows on HGTV. After graduating summa cum laude from Auburn’s interior design program, she got a job as a trade consultant for RH, formerly known as Restoration Hardware, doing just that.

Download the FREE Trending Politics App to get the latest news FIRST >>

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.



Loading

Leave your vote

More

You May Also Like

Crime

Harrison County Coroner Brian Switzer said 19-year-old Tyler Harris of Biloxi was killed. Officials confirm that the wreck occurred at the tail end of...

Sticky Post

A $40 MILLION DIVORCE DEMAND ROCKS THE NFL.Travis Hunter, one of football’s most electrifying young stars, is facing a staggering $40 million divorce settlement...

Crime

Corshawnda Hatter, a 33-year-old Chicago mom, and her 9-year-old son were taken to Trinity Hospital in serious condition after the attack. The mother explained...

Entertainment

Former President Barack Obama is opening up about friction at home as he ramps up his public role during President Donald Trump’s administration. In...

Entertainment

🚨 BOMBSHELL: Malik Obama drops explosive new evidence reigniting the Obama birth certificate scandal. A shocking “Kenyan Origins” document emerges, putting the globalist cover-up...

Crime

Washington, D.C. — In a high‑stakes interview this week on Fox News, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard alleged that the Barack Obama administration...

Entertainment

President Donald Trump said Friday that Iran has agreed to suspend its nuclear program indefinitely and will not get access to any frozen U.S....

Politics

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard has unleashed a major political bombshell, alleging that former President Barack Obama and his senior national security team...

Advertisement

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.