Rep. Thomas Kean Jr. says he expects to make a “full recovery” after a lengthy medical absence that sparked mounting questions in Washington and back home in New Jersey, while also confirming he plans to seek another term in Congress.
The Republican congressman from New Jersey’s 7th District, who has not voted in the House since March 5, broke his silence Thursday in an interview with the New Jersey Globe after missing roughly 100 consecutive votes during his time away from Capitol Hill.
“My doctors are confident that I’m on the road to a full recovery,” Kean said. “I understand the need for public transparency, and I appreciate the support of my constituents.”
Kean, 57, said he expects to return to voting and public events within the next several weeks and insisted his condition will not create long-term complications.
“I anticipate that in the next couple of weeks, I’ll return to voting and to the campaign trail,” he said.
The missing Congressman controversy has intensified in recent weeks as voters and political observers questioned Kean’s prolonged absence and the limited public information released by his office. House Speaker Mike Johnson recently acknowledged he did not know details about Kean’s condition beyond the fact that it was medical in nature.
Kean also put to rest speculation that he may retire rather than run again in one of the nation’s top battleground House districts.
“I’m running,” Kean told the outlet.
Kean first flipped the district for Republicans in 2022 when he defeated Democrat Tom Malinowski. He later won re-election in 2024 against Democrat Sue Altman, helping Republicans hold onto a closely watched suburban seat in northern New Jersey.
The congressman’s absence has become a growing issue for Republicans as the narrowly divided House continues operating with slim margins. Questions escalated after Kean missed weeks of votes with little explanation beyond statements that he was receiving medical treatment.
His father, former New Jersey Gov. Thomas Kean Sr., previously said his son was “under the care of a doctor” and expected to recover.
Despite the scrutiny, Kean said he has remained engaged with district operations and congressional staff while recovering.
The race for New Jersey’s 7th District is expected to remain one of the most competitive House contests in the country heading into the 2026 midterms.
Download the FREE Trending Politics App to get the latest news FIRST >>