Chief Justice John Roberts handed President Donald Trump a last-minute legal victory Friday, temporarily blocking a lower-court order that would have forced construction on the White House ballroom to grind to a halt.
The emergency order allows work on the massive project to continue while the Supreme Court considers the Trump administration’s request to intervene in the escalating legal battle.
The move came just before a lower-court deadline that would have stopped above-ground construction by the end of the day.
Roberts’ order did not explain the reasoning behind the temporary stay and does not necessarily signal how the Supreme Court will ultimately rule on the administration’s broader appeal.
As chief justice, Roberts handles emergency applications originating from Washington, D.C., although he can refer the matter to the full court for a vote.
The Justice Department has argued that halting the project could interfere with national security upgrades tied to the White House complex.
The administration says the construction includes secure facilities needed to protect the president, senior government officials and guests amid heightened security concerns.
The dispute centers on Trump’s roughly 90,000-square-foot ballroom project, which has become the target of a lawsuit brought by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
🚨 BREAKING: US Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts has allowed construction of President Trump’s White House Ballroom to PROCEED
A HUGE blow to activist judges hellbent on kiIIing the project 🔥
The Supreme Court will be hearing the full case at some point, and Democrats… pic.twitter.com/QATzhqFYfM
— Nick Sortor (@nicksortor) August 21, 2026
The preservation group argues that the administration lacked sufficient congressional authorization to move forward with such a sweeping alteration to the White House grounds.
It previously persuaded the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit to require additional approval before above-ground work could continue.
“If Petitioners believe there is a pressing need for a ballroom, nothing prevents them from asking Congress for one — today, tomorrow, or any time in the future,” the group, represented by Foley Hoag, wrote in court filings. “But Petitioners’ efforts to foil judicial review and arrogate Congress’s exclusive powers should not be rewarded.”
POLL: Will You Support Trump And His Candidates In The Midterms?
The Trump administration has pushed back hard, arguing that the project has already received the necessary approvals and is being financed with private money rather than traditional congressional appropriations.
The administration has also challenged whether the preservation group has legal standing to sue in the first place.
Solicitor General D. John Sauer warned the justices that allowing the lawsuit to proceed under the group’s theory could dramatically expand who is permitted to sue the federal government over changes to public property.
Sauer said “that would open the courthouse doors to any of the millions of people who visit government buildings, historic sites, or parks and happen to think that they dislike something they see.”
The administration’s emergency filing described the ballroom as part of an integrated security project at the White House and argued that stopping construction could disrupt sensitive work.
The lower courts had allowed underground military-related construction to continue while ordering a halt to the above-ground portion of the ballroom project.
Roberts’ intervention temporarily wipes away that immediate deadline, allowing the Trump administration to keep construction moving while the nation’s highest court reviews the dispute.
The legal fight has become another flashpoint over the scope of presidential authority, with Trump’s opponents arguing that Congress must have a greater say in major changes to the White House complex and the administration insisting the executive branch has broad authority over federal property under its control.
The Supreme Court could issue another order at any time, either extending the stay, allowing the lower-court ruling to take effect or sending the question to the full court for further consideration.
Until then, the construction crews can keep working.