Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Entertainment

NEW: SCOTUS Smacks Down Last-Minute Dem Redistricting Push


The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday declined an emergency request from Virginia Democrats that sought to restore a narrowly approved congressional redistricting map for the November 2026 midterm elections.

The decision came in an unsigned order, with no noted dissents from the justices. This action left in place a 4-3 ruling issued by the Virginia Supreme Court on May 8, which invalidated the map on procedural grounds under state constitutional requirements.

The case involved a congressional map drawn following narrow voter approval of a constitutional amendment in an April referendum.

Virginia’s current congressional districts, established after the 2020 census, consist of 11 districts and currently favor Democrats by a 6-5 margin. The proposed new map aimed to adjust district boundaries in ways that could have increased opportunities for Democratic candidates.

The Virginia Supreme Court determined that the process used to place the constitutional amendment on the ballot did not comply with state requirements. Under Virginia law, proposed constitutional amendments related to redistricting generally must pass the General Assembly in two separate legislative sessions separated by an intervening election.

The court found that the initial passage occurred in October 2025, after early voting for that year’s elections had begun, which violated the timing rules. The ruling focused exclusively on these procedural aspects and did not evaluate the substantive fairness or partisan implications of the proposed map itself.

Following the state court decision, Democrat officials, including the state attorney general and other leaders, filed an emergency application with the U.S. Supreme Court. They argued that the Virginia Supreme Court’s interpretation raised federal questions concerning the authority of state legislatures over elections and the proper role of state courts in reviewing such matters.

Opposing briefs from Republican legislative leaders maintained that the dispute concerned only questions of state law and procedure, with no federal issues properly preserved for U.S. Supreme Court review.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The U.S. Supreme Court’s May 15 order effectively concluded the immediate challenge for the 2026 election cycle. Virginia Governor Abigail Spanberger, a Democrat, stated prior to the ruling that the state would proceed with existing districts, as deadlines for implementing changes had already passed. The current map will therefore be used for the upcoming congressional elections.

This outcome fits within the U.S. Supreme Court’s handling of several recent mid-decade redistricting disputes. In other cases, the Court has allowed maps from states including Texas and California to remain in effect, generally deferring to state processes and timelines unless clear federal constitutional violations are identified.

Leave your vote

More

You May Also Like

Crime

Harrison County Coroner Brian Switzer said 19-year-old Tyler Harris of Biloxi was killed. Officials confirm that the wreck occurred at the tail end of...

Sticky Post

A $40 MILLION DIVORCE DEMAND ROCKS THE NFL.Travis Hunter, one of football’s most electrifying young stars, is facing a staggering $40 million divorce settlement...

Crime

Corshawnda Hatter, a 33-year-old Chicago mom, and her 9-year-old son were taken to Trinity Hospital in serious condition after the attack. The mother explained...

Entertainment

Former President Barack Obama is opening up about friction at home as he ramps up his public role during President Donald Trump’s administration. In...

Crime

Washington, D.C. — In a high‑stakes interview this week on Fox News, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard alleged that the Barack Obama administration...

Entertainment

President Donald Trump said Friday that Iran has agreed to suspend its nuclear program indefinitely and will not get access to any frozen U.S....

Entertainment

🚨 BOMBSHELL: Malik Obama drops explosive new evidence reigniting the Obama birth certificate scandal. A shocking “Kenyan Origins” document emerges, putting the globalist cover-up...

Politics

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard has unleashed a major political bombshell, alleging that former President Barack Obama and his senior national security team...

Advertisement

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.